The Northern Gulf of Alaska Long Term Ecological Research (NGA LTER) project invites undergraduate students to participate in our interdisciplinary program.
The NGA LTER is one site within the national LTER network. Our research team investigates the features, mechanisms, and processes that support NGA ecosystem production and foster its resilience. Scientists conduct field work, including ship-based experiments, run computer models of the ocean, and communicate findings to students and the public through education and outreach partners.
Apply for the Program
We will be hosting a REU program in summer 2023. Our program will run June 12 – August 11, 2023.
Applications will open Dec 15, 2022. To apply, please submit application materials here.
The REU is open to all undergraduates from any institution (2- and 4-year colleges and universities) who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents. You must be enrolled in a degree program at the time of the REU (graduating seniors are not eligible to participate in the summer following graduation, even if your graduation and our start date overlap by a few days).
We offered two REU programs in 2021, and will offer the same in 2023:
- Ocean Sciences REU 2021 – open to any undergraduate with interest in marine science, biology, chemistry, and/or physics.
- Alaska Native REU 2021 – Open to undergraduates with Alaska Native heritage, who are interested in the oceanography of the Gulf of Alaska and/or promoting partnership with other disciplines. This includes (but is not limited to) students with interest in visual arts, music, education, engineering, communication and/or science.
Funding from the U.S. National Science Foundation provides participant financial support, including a $5500 stipend.
Questions? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Relevant NGA LTER Posts
- 2021 Alaska Native REUSpring 2021 to Fall 2021 The Northern Gulf of Alaska Long Term Ecological Research (NGA …
- 2021 Ocean Sciences REUJOIN OUR TEAM THIS SUMMER! The Northern Gulf of Alaska Long Term Ecological Research (NGA …
- R/V Sikuliaq Cruise, Summer 2019The Summer 2019 cruise aboard R/V Sikuliaq has begun. 2019 is the 50th consecutive year …
- 2019 REU Potential ProjectsResearch Experience for Undergraduates The ideas for REU projects give an overview of currently interesting …
- REU Opportunity, Summer 2019Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) Summer 2019 Overview The Northern Gulf of Alaska Long Term …